A Night's Hunt!

Firstly, I would like to thank everyone who visited by blog till date and thus helped it in making a thousand hits. So, I would like you all to keep visiting and keep giving me suggestions that would help me get better as a writer. So, why wait? Let’s enter the dream world. : )

My dreams, right from my childhood have been very fascinating. Inspired by hundreds of cartoons that I used to watch day in and day out, my imaginations were inspired by huge dinosaurs, gigantic machines and impressive haunted forts. The common element of all these dreams being that, nothing in my dreams is small. Right from the animals to the forts, everything is huge and powerful. So powerful that the commonest of frogs in my dreams can take down an entire house with its sheer weight. ;)

Another feature of my dreams is that, they follow a pattern. I once in the first year if my under graduation had a series of almost twenty dreams set in the same surroundings but with different characters. This is the dream that I’m going to tell you in the subsequent paragraphs. The most important of all, I always remember most of my dreams. I narrate them to my friends to make sure that I never forget the important ones. So, let me induce you into my dream world where impossible is nothing. And rationality is considered irrational. : P

It is a chilly night. Everything around me is dark and rustling. My eyes open like they were shutters and not lids. I look around at the darkness that engulfs me. I hear myself hissing. I’m angry for some reason. I try to get up to have a better picture of where I stand. My hefty frame feels heavier than ever. It takes me a while to get up. As my eye level elevates from the ground, I get a better picture of my surroundings. Tall green grass forms a beautiful pasture around me. It’s a midsummer night on a full moon day. I hear a rumbling sound somewhere in the background. My head turns a 180 degree with surprising speed and ease. I spot the source of the sound, the river that is running along the meadow. As my senses tune to the surroundings around me, I hear the rumble grow louder by the minute and finally the sound stabilizes to a gentle roar. The water looks brilliant, radiating silver from the shining full moon. I swallow in a dose of fresh air that fills my lungs with a hiss. For the second time in the night, I hear a second rumble. But the sound this time, seemed to come from within me, a rumble that set my insides on fire. I was feeling hungry. I wanted to hunt. But why should I hunt? Should I not satisfy my hunger with the fruits that I see on the trees nearby? Should I not satisfy my thirst with the fresh water running in the river? My senses said I needed something bigger, something more delicious. And the liquid should be more than just normal water. It should be more vitalizing and energising, something hotter, something with a taste to it. I scan my immediate vicinity, my senses sharper, and my brain working faster. I could almost sense the vibrations in my surroundings. I wanted to hunt, to kill. I find something moving in a distance. Ah, food. Impulsively, my muscles contract and my body becomes rigid. I can feel the wetness oozing in my mouth. But the smarter part warned me to think, think of a plan that would ensure that the prey shouldn’t slip away. Slowly, I start crawling though the grass like water on a plane. So swift were my movements that, even the sharpest of ears couldn’t make out the faint rustle that my movements made. I was an invisible enemy plane hiding in a cloud bag, waiting for my chance.

Inch by inch, I close in onto my prey, a fully grown animal dressed in some colours that didn’t suit his natural appearance. It seemed to be humming something to itself. Poor thing, didn’t know that its life would end in a few minutes. As I raise my head from the darkness to reveal myself to my victim, my head reaches a towering ten feet from the ground. My victim senses my presence as I’m about to strike. It runs on its legs his instincts of survival aiding it to gain speed. I get back into the grass and I start moving through the grass once again. Eyes were of little use to me when I was able to sense the distance with the sound my prey made. I hear a creaking sound and the unhooking of a heavy latch in the distance. I raise my eyes above the grass and almost smile to myself. The prey did his move just according to my plan. He entered my castle, the chamber of death for my victims. It manages to secure the lock before I could manage to gain entrance. I hear a low hiss escape my chest with fury. My swift senses manage to spot a hole in one of bigger walls. I remember making it myself one day. With one lucid movement in creep in though the narrow slit and enter my castle. The huge central hall was glistening with the light that came from a thousand candles lighted all around the place. The sparkles were added by the reflections of the crystals that hung from my chandelier. I see a dark cloud engulf the moon though one of my windows that extended all the way to the ground. As my sense of smell drinks in the surroundings, the fragrance of my Lillie’s hits my nostrils and I experience a momentary high, forgetting my hunger. Another rumble issues from my stomach and I focus back on the work at hand. The stench of my victims sweat seemed to lay a trail to me in the deep fragrance. I tip toe on the spiral staircase at the end of my grand reception hall, making almost zero sound.

I spot my victim standing hesitantly on the bridge of my death chamber. The bridge was narrow and didn’t support weights of the victims if they were not swift in their run across. Below was a gigantic iron ball with spikes long enough and thick enough to drill in holes through the bodies of the victim. The victim seemed to take time in measuring his chances of survival, too late. I emit a hiss and raise myself on my lucid body. The victim paralysis with fright and takes an automatic step back in cover. The victim makes a choice and decides to sprint across the bridge. With almost zero effort, I throw a part of my body across the victim blocking him from the opposite direction. That part of me seemed to float in mid air. The victim, completely castled by my sudden move, paralyzes completely and his senses freeze. Dead senses meant half dead. Only the physical force needed to be taken out of him. My head now suspended in mid air, raises a few feet higher with little effort, my body moving like a liquid below me. Adrenaline rushes though my blood and my teeth start emitting a low viscous transparent fluid. I open my moth wide, two pointed razor sharp teeth showing, dripping with the liquid. I dig in my teeth deep into the victim, as my body wraps itself around it, arresting its final facilities of motion. The blood of my prey enters my mouth, still warm and fresh just as I liked it. I squeeze the prey dry before I devour it. I crawl back across my hall, idle and lazy after a tiresome hunt which didn’t prove to be futile. As I come back into the lawn again, to gaze at the bright moon and the shining stars, I catch a glimpse of my reflection in the cold black water. My midsection looked bulged and my forty foot length seemed shorter. I give myself a satisfied hiss, my snakes’ hunger satisfied, not wanting to eat till I feel hungry again. I look for a place to sleep with no fear of anything. I am a snake, a hunter made by nature. I kill only when I’m hungry unlike my recent prey which eats without reason.
When I wake up in the morning, I find myself totally disoriented and confused. What was with this whole snake episode? Maybe it’s time we changed and stopped unnecessary hunting and killing. I try to get my bearings back and align myself before I begin to college. Maybe, someone or something did try to send a message across to me.

Comments